Welcome to my blog!
Hi, my name is Alex Koolaev. I’m mostly a writer and a blogger, but also a translator, game designer, and internet marketer. Too many vocations for just one person? Well, I guess I’ve been playing too much of RPGs where they encourage you to mix different classes to customize your experience. So now I’m customizing it in real life. 😉
Some secret facts about me that even FBI doesn’t know:
- I’ve been writing since as long as I remember myself, which means from the age of 9.
- I’ve been using Scrivener since 2011 when I discovered it in the App Store and then got for my birthday from my mom. Yeah, my mom is that cool!
- I’ve been writing mostly fiction (apart from my emails and Facebook messages), in a fantasy genre, but in 2016 started trying myself in non-fiction works to help my fellow writers with their work.
I have another blog for my fiction at KoolaevBooks.com.
About Playing Writer
On this blog, I share my ideas and tips about writing, publishing, promoting, insights and lessons I draw from popular books, movies and shows, and Scrivener tutorials to help learn both desktop and iOS versions better. All in all, the goal of Playing Writer is to help writers produce better books and get them out there.
Now, why is it called Playing Writer? There are two reasons for this:
- In addition to reading and writing, I also like playing games, table top and video ones, and I have many table top game designs and in the first half of 2016, when I discovered gamebooks for the first time, I wrote down a few gamebook concepts. They’re all in the initial stages of design, just sketches and ideas to work on, but I hope that someday I’ll have enough time to take those ideas one by one and make good games with them. That said, I might be covering game design theory and tools along with writing books.
- At first, I wanted to register a StrugglingWriter.com because I was struggling with myself each and every day to write more, write faster, write better. I wore myself out with my constant strive to be more of myself than I was. Until I realized that it was actually not about writing, it was about accepting myself as I was and cherishing what I was.
In addition to this revelation, the domain for StrugglingWriter.com was claimed and I had to come up with something else, which turned out to be PlayingWriter.com. Thus, the change of the domain name resulted in a change of mindset.
So I try to remember that what makes the difference is the journey, not the destination. It’s really easy to forget this simple truth when focusing too much on the end goal of publishing the book, making those sales, getting that contract. I try to play with words and have fun along the way.
I believe my blog will be interesting to you, either you’re looking for advice on improving your writing, publishing your book or Scrivener tutorials and tips. Feel free to connect with me on social media and drop me a line.
Never miss a thing from me
Want to get my new posts and updates right in your inbox? Then subscribe to my little newsletter. I promise to send you only the valuable, interesting stuff from time to time when I really have something to say.
Bonus! You get a nice little freebie to download – PDF cheatsheet with the ultimate list of keyboard shortcuts in Scrivener for iOS! Isn’t it marvelous? What are you waiting for? Click that pretty button already!